If you're like me and you would prefer to use home-made Creme Fraiche, you will need to start the night before so that this element is ready when your cake is. Otherwise, feel free to purchase this element from a deli.
If you are dairy free Paleo ...feel free to use coconut cream in the frosting recipe but you may need to use some gelatin to get the coconut cream stiff enough to stay on the cake.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe - Paleo/primal/gaps friendly
1 1/2 cup Almond Meal
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
4 Eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Rapadura or Honey
2-3 Over-ripe Bananas, mashed
1 tblsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 175 deg C. Prepare 15.5cm (7.5cm deep) cake tin by greasing the bottom and sides and placing baking paper into the bottom of the tin. If you have 2 cake tins of this size, grease both and it will halve your cooking time :).
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk the ingredients together to combine them evenly.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs until light and fluffy, add olive oil, honey or sugar, banana mash and vanilla, then beat well with electric beaters.
- Add the egg mix to the dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared cake tin (if you have 2 tins, go ahead and split the batter between the 2 tins), and bake for approximately 25 - 30 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when touched or an inserted skewer comes out clean. If you are working with one tin, re-grease and line the tin and repeat the baking process with the remaining batter.
- Cool on a wire rack ( or in the fridge or freezer if you're in a big hurry like I was!).
THE CREME FRAICHE 'FROSTING'
900ml Creme Fraiche
1 tblsp Honey
1 Vanilla Bean, seeds scraped
- Place your creme fraiche into a medium sized bowl and using an electric mixer, whip until soft peaks form.
- Add honey and vanilla seeds, then continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Be careful here! You can overwhip the cream and make butter so stop the beaters regularly to check the consistency.
Make your Strawberry Sauce and then cool it in the fridge or freezer. Slice up some extra strawberries for decoration.
Now it's time to begin assembling your cake. Place the bottom cake layer into the centre of the plate that you wish to use. With a spatula, add a thick dollop of creme fraiche 'frosting' to the middle of the cake and spread gently out to the sides. Add some slices of fresh strawberries and a big drizzle of Strawberry Sauce and then gently add your top cake layer. Using your spatula, spread your creme fraiche over the top and around the sides of the cake, thickly!! Be generous ....it's soooo yum.
Once the entire cake is covered generously with creme fraiche 'frosting', add slices of fresh strawberry and drizzles of strawberry sauce. And if you are feeling a little naughty (and your not doing GAPS), add a few mini meringues to the top as well.
Pop your cake into the fridge until serving time to keep the frosting from sliding off your cake :).